Saturday 27 September 2014

Evaluation of Preliminary Task

In the preliminary task I think we demonstrated match on action well, with the clip of Henry opening the door and the close up of the door handle opening. I think we also demonstrated shot reverse shot well by going from the shot behind Josh's shoulder, to behind Henry's shoulder as the other person spoke. We also demonstrated the 180 degree rule as when Henry walks towards the table after coming through the door he still appears on the right side of the frame. 

We met the brief as we demonstrated all of the required shot techniques and we filmed everything that was required in the brief and included dialogue between the two characters.

I found this task difficult at first as it was hard to get the camera in the right place to get a good shot without zooming in or out too much, but as we got into filming it became easier. We had an issue with filming as we had to re-film parts of the task due to losing some footage, we could not re-film the same footage straight away because the boys were wearing different clothes, so continuity editing would not have been achieved. However, we overcame this by filming from scratch as there was no other alternative. We managed to replicate the footage we had before as well as some new parts, which I think worked better than what we had before. 

By creating this task I have learnt how to use the editing software Premier Pro. I now know how to import video clips, import sound, add titles and how to export and upload videos to YouTube. I have also learnt to look more closely at framing subjects when filming, in this task there are certain parts where there is a lot of empty space in the background and the camera should be focusing more closely on the person in the shot. Also in one shot the boys' feet get cut off which makes the framing look messy even though there is plenty of space above their heads. I will look more closely at where everything in the shot is positioned when it comes to filming again. 

This exercise will inform my final opening title sequence as I know to watch the framing and editing of the clips. This exercise was useful as a learning curve as now I have become familiar with Premier Pro and all of the editing tools it offers. This will make the film more continuous as I become better at putting clips together. I will look carefully at framing in the viewfinder of cameras to create the best shot of the characters and I will also use a tripod again to prevent a wobbly shot. I will remember to include shot reverse shot, the 180 degree rule and match on action as well as other shots and camera angles that I have learnt about to create the best possible opening title sequence. 

3 comments:

  1. Can you see how the rules of continuity editing ie 180 rule, 30 degree rule, match on action, all help to give the effect of continuous movement and flow to a film? REPLY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes something look seamless and as if it is real life and not just a film

      Delete
  2. Please print off this post to show how you are responding to feedback given and put it under coursework in your exam folder

    ReplyDelete